Sewing Essentials - Serger Techniques
Working with fabric and textiles can be an incredibly rewarding venture, whether it’s for personal or professional gain. From simple tasks like hemming a pair of trousers or customising clothing, to more complicated challenges like making home decoration pieces, the ability to sew is a skill that will always be useful. Mastering a sewing machine, as well as an overlocker and serger, can help you to broaden your sewing skill set, and with this easy to follow content, available in partnership with experts at SewInformed, you’ll have these skills ‘all sewn up’.
Unlock the Serger Potential
As a sewing enthusiast, learning how to sew using the various machines available can help you to create fabulous products without facing the struggles that sewing-by-hand can cause. Naturally, hand sewing is an enjoyable pastime but imagine the possibilities once you unleash the potential of a serger sewing machine or overlocker! With this interesting course, you can get to grips with some of the basic serger and overlocker features, and soon you’ll be able to give every project a professional finish.
Plenty of Classes to Work Through
With this in-depth course, you can work through a variety of classes and video tutorials (combined offering over 5 hours of content), which will help you to learn the basic operation of a serger or similar overlocker machine. From the 60-minute ‘Basic Serger Class’ which is broken down into five easy-to-manage chunks, to more complex features like how to overlock on mesh, and making tassels and table toppers, this course covers many of the essential skills you’ll need to be able to use your serger or overlocker with confidence and precision.
Zippers and Half Zippers! Don’t be afraid, Amy will show you how to change the Zipper pull tab to change up the look of your project. Have you ever pulled off the Zipper pull tab by mistake and thought all was lost? No worries, Amy will show you how to fix the Zipper and make a Notions Bag using only half a zipper. Take out your Serger and do a decorative finish on the project as well as inserting a Zipper with your Serger. Machine Embroidery takes the project to the next level with quilting in the hoop and adding a design. Embroidery makes it quick and easy. This Notions Bag can be used for so many things. Easy gift for anyone who likes to keep things organized.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
This course would be perfect for anyone who has, or is planning to have, a serger or overlocker in their home, and would like to learn more about how to use it. It would suit both hobbyists and individuals who are hoping to further their sewing abilities for professional gain.
- Get to grips with some of the basic features of a serger machine and learn how to set it up, adjust stitch tensions, and understand the terminology used, including the basic and flatlock stitch.
- Learn how to make and use variegated thread by adding up to four threads into each looper, and learn how these can be made into tassels.
- Understand the basic skills required to serge or overlock on mesh, and other open-weave fabrics.
- Learn how to blind hem a garment using a serger or overlocker, and understand the importance of the technique, if wanting to finish a project professionally.
- Understand how to use a serger or overlocker to seam lace pieces.
- Use a 60-degree ruler, and learn how the flatlock stitch can be used to make a table topper.
- Understand how to use your gathering foot to make a quilt using a serger or overlocker.
- Learn how to overlock or serge when using elastic and delicate fabrics.
- Spend time learning the basics of reverse applique, twin needle quilting, curve cutting and curved piecing with the additional, free-standing classes available.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Online course delivery system ensures students can pick up and put down the course material whenever it suits them, guaranteeing convenient and flexible study.
- Videos accompany each module, offering a first-hand look at how serger and overlocker features can be used effectively. Learn by doing, as you work your way through the course.
- Learn from the best, with video tutorials by Amy Baughman – a leader in serging and overlocking techniques.
- Give yourself the techniques and skills you need to become a confident and adept user of a serger or overlocker – something else to add to your growing skill set!
- Build your confidence with a machine that can so often be intimidating – there’s no need for it to be gathering dust in the corner of your sewing room anymore!
Lock in a brighter future – once you’re finished with the classes that make up this comprehensive course, you’ll be ‘sew’ ready to take on your next textiles project! What are you waiting for?
- Parts and Threading
- Differential Feed
- Basic Stitching
- Flat Lock Stitch
- Crayon Serger: Making Variegated thread and making a tassel
- Mesh Serger: Serging or Overlocking on mesh
- Serger Blindhem: Serging or Overlocking to use a blind hem to finish garments
- Serging on Lace: Learn how to seam lace pieces with a serger or overlocker
- 60 degree Serging: Using a 60 degree ruler and metallic thread to make a table topper
- Strip and Flip Serger Project: Use your gathering foot to make this quilt with your serger or overlocker
- Serger Elastic: Serging or Overlocking with elastic on delicate material and lace
- How to replace or fix Zips/Zippers
- How to use half a zipper
- Make a small clutch/Gift bag with a zip
- Add embroidery to your clutch / Notions bag
|2 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above